The Gynecological Oncologist

When I moved to Tampa, I wanted to be near young people.  My rented condo is near USF- Tampa.. and so I am within walking distance of Moffitt Cancer Center. 

Moffitt has limited space... so they've got valet parking.  I checked in with the concierge of the Center for Women's Oncology.  New patients get a bag with information...flyers about the programs and services at Moffitt.

Because I get nervous I showed up about 45 minutes early... mistake.  They were running late and the waiting room was packed.  Rather nice waiting room, coffee and water available.  I was knitting, and got a chance to chat with some other patients.  (easy to spot with the armband.)

Ah, the joys of admitting.  Many forms, many questions.  In the end I was impressed with the friendly, efficient staff. 

The doctor's assistant was efficient and friendly.  Then I was sent back to the waiting room....

When I was put in an exam room, I was told I didn't have to undress, because my surgery was only three weeks ago.  The Nurse Practitioner met with me, examined the healing incision was doing well.  (I can't see it..body topography is... um... awkward for viewing that spot.)

Finally I met with the oncology doctor, NP and a resident (or intern?)  They did need to see more, and examined the new vagina.

We had a discussion of options.  There's been a study about chemotherapy for patient's with early detection.  Because the tumor was removed with 3 cm clear around all edges, they are assuming they got it all.  However, this type of tumor gets into the blood system, and can easily spread.  When the oncologist mentioned spreading to the lungs, she mentioned 30% to the intern. 

I'm young, and healthy.  We're hoping this was caught early.  This is just the first of many visits.  Next step, CT scan with contrast on Thursday. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

After waiting.... more waiting

Possible scenarios.... outcomes... and preparing for the future.

Research update. Letrezole use for 10 years post breast cancer.