Schroedinger's Cat and my liver tumor






The short version of Schroedinger's cat experiment (note: only hypothetical cats were theoretically harmed with this experiment)
Schrödinger's cat: a cat, a flask of poison, and a radioactive source are placed in a sealed box. If an internal monitor detects radioactivity (i.e. a single atom decaying), the flask is shattered, releasing the poison that kills the cat. The Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics implies that after a while, the cat is simultaneously alive and dead. Yet, when one looks in the box, one sees the cat either alive or dead, not both alive and dead. This poses the question of when exactly quantum superposition ends and reality collapses into one possibility or the other.
(from Wikipedia.)

This is what I'm NOT thinking about while I was on chemo. I don't know if the tumor is alive and growing or dying and decaying. I don't want to second guess... I tried it for a while.. it was torture.

If I feel bad does that mean the tumor is shrinking? Don't know.

While I've been off chemo, has the tumor been growing? Don't know.

It's like Schoedinger's Cat. When I get the MRI after the chemo is completed I'll know if the Cat... errr tumor is alive or dead.

I can guess... Sometimes in the morning I'll feel my belly.... Does the liver feel bigger? And if it does what does it mean/ the tumor is growing? or the tumor is dying and the swelling is my white blood cells gathering the dead bits, punting them to the blood stream for disposal via the kidneys and intestines. Or maybe I just ate too much broccoli and I've got gas...

If I think about this, I'd think about it too much.

So I don't think about these things. But this morning I realized that this is like Schroedinger's Cat. At this point... neither alive nor dead...or both alive and dead.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

After waiting.... more waiting

Possible scenarios.... outcomes... and preparing for the future.

Research update. Letrezole use for 10 years post breast cancer.