Prescription math

After my appointment, the oncologist called in a prescription, and later my pharmacy texted that it was ready for pick up-- almost $300 for a month.

When I got to the pharmacy, I updated my insurance information, and it cost about $6. Now how much is the insurance paying for that? (NOTE: these are hormone inhibitors to keep my tumors from growing... not optional medicine)

Healthcare is complicated-- even more so than new cars or office supplies. There's the MSRP Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price, several drug discount programs that may or may not work, the cost to the insurance company, the cost to the patient... rebates, coupons, etc.

It is what it is... know how to play the system. Find drug discount cards, and coupons. Check to see if you can get any medications free. The main grocery store in Florida is Publix. My high blood pressure medication and many antibiotics are free through Publix. Some medications are cheaper through the discount program than through the insurance.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

After waiting.... more waiting

Possible scenarios.... outcomes... and preparing for the future.

Research update. Letrezole use for 10 years post breast cancer.