Possible scenarios.... outcomes... and preparing for the future.

In the first days of this adventure, I found this TED talk. Baba Shiv talks about giving up the driver's seat TED Talk

With this rare form of cancer, I choose to listen to my oncologist, and follow her directions.  My goal is to live another 10 years.  My roommate challenged that recently.  His sister has battled a variety of cancers for many years.  She's tenacious, intelligent and currently in remission.  Cancer has become a chronic disease for many. 

I don't know.  I don't have the data (until the results are reviewed by my physician) from the latest CT with contrast scan.  I've gathered the old CT scans from other facilities and will be taking them to Moffitt next Tuesday.  Then... well, then we'll have a battle plan. 

Overall, I'm working on multiple outcomes.  I need to be prepared.  For example, I'm going through my bookshelves and discarding many books.  Why?  I may be moving to a different home.  Even if I'm not moving, I need to make the sorting process for my daughter as painless as possible.  So, I'm sorting stuff to Goodwill, to friends, to the dumpster. 

Last night, I shared with Roommate the general outcomes and implications:

- I have LMS, it hasn't spread.  I'm getting chemotherapy.  I return to work, flex my time, eventually become cancer free, with regular monitoring. Die in 30 years.

- The LMS has spread, I'm getting chemotherapy.  The side effects are difficult, work is impacted, I have to stop working at least short term.  Go on disability, move to less expensive home. The battle is longer and more difficult than hoped.  I die in 10 years.   

- The LMS has spread, we didn't catch it early. There's no time to move to a different place.  Despite getting chemotherapy, I die in 1 year.

- The LMS has spread, I die quickly.

Remember, we're all going to die eventually.  I'm preparing for all eventualities. I'm young (54 years old) and healthy.  I've had a sedentary job... but it is time to join a gym and go.  I need to build my strength for both going to work AND chemotherapy in the future.

I'm sure there are other variables and options.  I can beat this--- I just need enough coffee and yarn.

Comments

  1. "I can beat this--- I just need enough coffee and yarn. " That's a great mantra for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nooooo. Don't throw out poor defensless books. Give them to me. I'll find them new homes.
    -Min

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

After waiting.... more waiting

Research update. Letrezole use for 10 years post breast cancer.