Results day, Afternoon report-- Good news.

The PET Scan was interesting.  Back in Indiana, in the dead of winter, I'd go to the tanning bed.  I only went a few times total. But the best part for me was the meditation.  The fan motor whirring, the chance to relax and empty my mind... Quite Zen and relaxing.

The PET Scan was like that.  After registration, I was given an injection of stuff... this came in a cute lead container.. even the syringe case had a lead shield.  Then I sat for an hour, waiting for the stuff to circulate and accumulate.  (I'm guessing what it was doing.  I was knitting... )

Then lying face down on the CT imager (big white donut)... I see why they ask if you are claustrophobic.  The room was very cold, but they covered me with blankets. Moffitt is wonderful about giving blankets... even warmed blankets in some departments.  So I lay there just clearing my mind.  After several minutes, they flipped me over, and did the other side.  Then a different position with my hands above my head. 

Then out the door, ready to head home for lunch and the next appointment.  My friend met me at the Moffitt Cancer Center at International Plaza.  We checked in, chatted, and were called back.  We spent a lot of time in the exam room... first with Dr. Chon, then with her nurse.  They printed the PET scan results about fifteen minutes after they were finalized. This is what's amazing about an Electronic Medical Record. 

The PET Scan showed the lung nodules were significantly smaller than the CT Scan measurements.  (That's why we did this.. for more accurate, specific information).  They are small and suspicious, and will be treated with the chemo. 

Meanwhile the Liver (remember I was assuming this was not a problem.. just my Advil habit...) has metastasized (presumably from the original tumor). This changes... nothing. 

I start chemo on Monday, assuming they can schedule me on Monday starting approximately 5 to 6 months of chemo, in 3 week rounds.  Hopefully I'll have the turban finished in time for the hair loss. 

Many women have written about how they deal with hair loss... Apparently it comes out in clumps: on a pillow, in the shower, in a comb.  Several have taken charge, cutting their hair/shaving their head before it is emotionally challenging.  My favorite was a woman who cut her hair into a Mohawk for a few hours before going completely (voluntarily) bald.  I promise to take pictures. 

The one question I didn't ask is: "how long do I have?"  I've been beating the odds, and am young and ready to fight.  Physicians can guess how long, but they don't know.  My goal is 10 years.  After 6 months (or so) of chemo... I'll be monitored for the rest of my life.  This is a chronic condition... but others live with diabetes, COPD, etc.. other chronic conditions. 

It's going to be okay.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

After waiting.... more waiting

Possible scenarios.... outcomes... and preparing for the future.

Research update. Letrezole use for 10 years post breast cancer.