I got a port today.

A power port at that.  I'll read up on the advantages of this, and report back.  I'm a small woman, only 5 foot tall.  my veins are small also.  So the nurses and phlebotomists were talking about PICC lines and Ports since I started chemo.

I'm on two chemo drugs, gemcitabine and Taxotere (I'll check spellings later).  The Taxotere is the stronger of the two.  It burns going in.  I've still got a reaction showing at the site from 19 days ago.  Monday will be my second dose of Taxotere.  I'm glad the port is in place. 

Taxotere may also be the reason for my hands and feet being painful and psoriasis looking.  The skill becomes dark and gray, then sloughs off.  Ugly.  Painful.  Underneath though is some nice skin.  I've been rubbing petroleum jelly into my hands, as per the dermatologist's suggestion.  That helps with the sloughing and look of the hand, but not the pain.
My feet feel like there are giant blisters directly under the skin.  I walk gingerly, carefully, and painfully.

The biggest blow has been my self image.  I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror.  Without a hat, I look like my grandmother... the round German farmer's face with wisps of hair.  My eyes are a bit piggy looking, receding into my face due to the eye ptosis.  I'm walking painfully, dressing comfortably (I was cold most of the day).  What a sight!  I went out to dinner with my roommate and jokingly about taking my grandson out for dinner. 

Right now I'm sitting with an ice pack on my shoulder, swaddled on the couch.  One day at t a time.  Yesterday I got a port.  Today I visit with friends.  Tomorrow grocery shopping.  Monday more chemo.  (and that will be the end of Cycle 2). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

After waiting.... more waiting

Possible scenarios.... outcomes... and preparing for the future.

Research update. Letrezole use for 10 years post breast cancer.