Postitive Attitude.....Rant

When I say I've got cancer, and someone tells me to have a positive attitude, I'm torn. 

I know what they mean.  Don't give up.  Keep fighting.  I know that my quality of life is better if I am focusing on the good in life, avoiding negative emotions, and surrounding myself with happy positive people.  It's easier to be around people who are happy than those who are miserable.  I won't scare off people, so will have a larger pool of volunteers to help.

That all makes sense.  But somehow I hear, "You will get better if you have a positive attitude."  Maybe that is true of some cancers.  I am quite envious of all the bouncing boobs out there.  My cancer is special, yep, special and unique just like me.  (that was probably sarcastic.) 

A positive attitude won't change the cancer.  How likely am I to die?  Only 14% who have this cancer survive five years after diagnosis. (ULMS with mets to Liver)  My oncologist assures me that I'm younger, and healthier than many.  I've got health insurance.  We caught it early (although earlier would have been better.--- but I don't have a time machine.)

I've got a world class cancer center down the street.  I'm being treated for a rare cancer by someone who already has experience with ULMS.  

A positive attitude is great.  I know I can beat this.  I trust the physicians and research to help my body beat this.  But a realistic attitude requires that I look at the dark side. 

But ultimately, I have to wonder, am I foolish?  Everybody dies.  Sooner or later, I'll go.  Is it a good use of my time to tell everyone "I'll beat this"?  or does it just make me look naïve? Does it actually add days to my life, or hope to my prognosis.  Will it give me additional time with my cat?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

After waiting.... more waiting

Possible scenarios.... outcomes... and preparing for the future.

Research update. Letrezole use for 10 years post breast cancer.