Secrets to Surviving a Cancer Diagnosis comments on an online article



The short version (the 5 key points) is:

Patients who deal with a cancer diagnosis in a positive manner tend to do five things:

1. Find the right team and a champion for you, and trust their recommendation.

2. If needed, get a second opinion.

3. Surround yourself with the people you love.

4. Focus on your life rather than the cancer or cancer treatment.

5. Try not to compare your story with your neighbors; your treatment and prognosis is tailored for you.

I agree with this completely. I've avoided some people who are naysayers or overly positive. "Gee, you'll beat this" is not very useful, as far as I'm concerned. I want to acknowledge this severity of the fight. My opponent (my own body?) is deadly.

Also, I'm uncomfortable with the "you're a cancer superhero" variation. I'm doing what I have to do. Sure, there are options, mainly ignore the problem and hope it will go away (hint: it won't). That's not my style. Even when I'm in denial, I'm dealing with reality.

For me, the first step was taken for me. The relatively new gynecologist who did the hysterectomy had done a rotation with my oncologist. Phone calls were made, I was in. It took longer than I expected, but later I realized that this delay was to allow my body to heal post-surgery. I've adored my oncologist since I met her. She's fact based, no-nonsense, and keeps me grounded. One of her first instructions was to not research this on the Internet. I had already looked, of course. Her advice was because the stats were old (since this is a rare cancer, it is hard to get a lot of data), the stats were based in part on people far older than I.

Online, I found three women diagnosed around the same time I was. Within 6 months, one was dead. I should look for the other one...if nothing else, to let her know I'm still around.

As far as not comparing, I'm lucky. My cancer is rare. So the many breast cancer survivors, and assorted other cancer survivors have different types of cancer. In fact, my cancer (leiomyosarcoma) has more in common with digestive cancers than the breast cancers. I try not to think about the trendy, popular cancers. I was never trendy or popular; so it makes sense that my illness isn't either.

Focus on life rather than cancer/cancer treatments. I've had a glorious several months since I stopped chemo. After surgery, it is possible that I'll need to get chemo again. Meanwhile, I'm playing computer games, knitting, and reading. All the laundry is caught up, the house is getting better. I had a friend come over to help with the log-jam that was my bedroom. She was the catalyst for some great decluttering.

I don't know what will happen next. So I'm focusing on the joy of today. I've got a to do list (left over from yesterday), so I'll be busy. Currently, I'm in a bit of pain. Don't know if it is the cancer, or the neuropathy, or arthritis. Regardless, each day is wonderful. I'm enjoying the view of my little world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

After waiting.... more waiting

Possible scenarios.... outcomes... and preparing for the future.

Research update. Letrezole use for 10 years post breast cancer.