Jackson-Pratt Drain (graphic... Best read by people who have one, are getting one or need to know this.)

As I mentioned in a previous post, I've got a Jackson-Pratt drain (aka JP drain). This drains cranberry juice colored liquid out of my abdomen, out of the spot where the tumor was removed.

At my recent MD appointment, I was hoping the drain would be taken out. But now I have goals. When the daily drainage is less than 50 cc/ml per day for 3 days, I can call the MD, and get the drain removed. Meanwhile, I'm draining it several times a day. I'm tracking the output. Originally, I was tracking on the sheet of paper they gave me. Then I ran out of space. Now I'm tracking date/time and output on an envelope. Soon I'll need to start a new sheet of paper and will use a real sheet of paper rather than whatever is lying around.

Okay, I hope that was boring enough to get the casual bystanders bored. I don't like this, it seems to be draining a bit of pus from around the tube hole in my abdomen. I've been using pads (actually panty shields -- never thought I'd need those again..) attached to the inside of my underwear to capture the pus, and prevent my underwear from further staining/damage. The large safety pin that holds the drain collector in place has left some holes in my underwear, but I'm also wearing my comfortable, older underwear, so a bit more damage, and they'll just be discarded.

When showering, I was given a cord from the hospital to hang the pin and the drain. When I went to the doctor, they shortened the tubing (it had wiggled loose from where it should be.) After that, I needed a longer cord, so I used a long cotton (Lilly 100% cotton, normally I use it for dishcloths). At first it was too long and the knot was in the wrong place, but I added another knot, and boom... it was perfect.

Showering is awkward. Instructions included no super hot showers, wash the upper body and lower body as normal, but just let the water flow over the surgical incision and the drain site. Don't rub to dry, instead blot the delicate areas.

Here's details about the drain from Wikipedia. The instructions from the hospital said to strip (milk) the tubing for the first three days. I didn't read that until I had been stripping it for almost two weeks. The oncologist said that I didn't need to stop, and that I should keep milking the tubing. So that's what I'm doing.

It's annoying when I stand up, because it is on my lower abdomen near the spot where my thigh attaches. Twinges of pain. Generally I don't think about it. And this drain has only been around since the early 70's. So I'm grateful for the technology, nothing fancy, just simple. I'll let you know when it comes out..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

After waiting.... more waiting

Possible scenarios.... outcomes... and preparing for the future.

Research update. Letrezole use for 10 years post breast cancer.