Status Report May, 2016

This week for the first time since recovery from chemo and the surgery, I felt sick. I made some progress this week, also, so a status report seems appropriate.

Where I am:
Currently 17 months since original diagnosis, I've not worked for one year. My energy levels are low. I can make a list and knock items off the list, but also leave many things undone. I manage my frustrations by ignoring what is not getting done. -- which works well for my roommate also... I'm not nagging him to install the new thermostat, or re-box and store his belongings in the living room.

Dishes accumulate in the sink, until they hit critical mass, then I unload the dishwasher (yep, that's the wrong way to do it...if I want the kitchen to be tidy.) Generally I stay caught up with laundry, but got behind this week and needed to re-wash some clothes. I started to figure out how to make the TVs work (two older TVs... one with a DVD player, one with a VHS player...is my dream.... at this point, I've got half a dozen remotes, two tvs, and nothing is working ---though it is strung across the living room from the time I got ambitious and started plugging things in.

I'm showering about every other day. About once a week, I'm working out with others at the community center. But I'm not able to do the full Richard Simmons or Walk Fit routine.... I sit for about 5 minutes, and modify the actions for less exertion. Often I will lie down in the afternoon, sometimes I can nap, other times, not.

Currently I'm waiting. I do this well, fortunately. I knit, play on the computer, and wait. After my PET/CT scan, I waited a week for the oncologist appointment. Then two weeks for the Tumor Board to review the case, and now another two weeks for a needle biopsy. Then another week for the results. I've grown accustomed to the wait. Knitting makes it productive, and denial makes it bearable. I get as much done as I can, because the next step may sap my energy.

While waiting for the needle biopsy, I'm not allowed to take Advil. I didn't realize how I depended on it for the everyday aches and pains. Maybe knowing they are biopsying the liver makes the liver hurt more. Maybe knitting too much is making my shoulder hurt. I'll be glad when the waiting for the biopsy is over, so I can Advil as needed again.

This is the first time I've really felt sick.... nauseous, weak, and a bit frustrated. It's that annoying low grade frustration with many things and nothing. I'm accidently hitting things... like bashing my knee on the doorway into the bathroom and hitting a finger joint with the kitchen cabinet. So I'm slowing down, making moves more deliberate. The hormone inhibitor gives me 15 minute hot flashes. I'll be chatting with someone, (usually after I've walked a bit) and start sweating profusely.... I'm now carrying a handkerchief (or washcloth when I exercise)... to mop up the sweat. This is Florida and it will continue to get hotter.

My memory seems to be doing well. I'm helping gather items for the White Elephant sale in November. I can find things I've put away. Occasionally, I fail to remember a word..... and grasp for it..... but generally just insert "thing" or "that" or some generic vague word as a substitute.

So that's the status. Body is working at about 60%. Pain is constant at 3 or 4 until I get the Advil back on Wednesday night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

After waiting.... more waiting

Possible scenarios.... outcomes... and preparing for the future.

Research update. Letrezole use for 10 years post breast cancer.