My uncle died this morning due to surgical complication from Pancreatic Tumor surgery

My uncle died this morning. Three weeks ago he was at a NASCAR race with my mother. Two weeks ago, he checked into a hospital for a Whipple Procedure. He had a tumor on the head of his pancreas. The surgery went well, except for unexpected bleeding and he was taken back into surgery the following day to correct that. He was up and walking yesterday. There were problems. Early this morning, Mom texted that we were losing him. Later she texted that he was gone.

So many thoughts and emotions raced through my mind. I doing errands when I got the news, and started crying. As he aged, my uncle looked more and more like my grandfather. I thought of the many times my uncle was there for his own grandchildren. They were homeschooled, he was flipping and renting houses. Many times they'd shadow him as he was fixing a house, solving problems, showing how math was important for plumbing and carpentry. He was so very patient, and just wonderful.

When I finally went to bed, I couldn't help but wonder if the news of my death would be as shocking and as moving. In 2006, my sister and my father died several months apart. I was first contact for many who had not heard about their deaths. So many shocked faces. How can I set up something on Facebook to tell my friends, or is it too cruel to tell people via FB or text. I didn't mind the text. I got the news quickly. I hadn't seen my uncle for about 5 years.

I was also reminded how lucky I am. Moffitt is nearby. I was diagnosed and treated early. I was in good health (okay, he was too considering he was 73 years old.)

I'm still in shock. I don't feel guilty for living, but am reminded that I'm past the 18 months that I expected. I still joke that I'll survive two years at a time. I still expect the last six months to be painful and difficult. Maybe that's why I'm comfortable with this process... I've already decided what I can expect.

Uncle Harold's funeral was in Evansville, Indiana on Friday 5th. Visitation started about the same time I checked into the infusion center. By the time the service was over, I was home and eating a late lunch. I was only 848 miles away... but the travel was too much for my fatigue.

Rest in Peace. You are loved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

After waiting.... more waiting

Possible scenarios.... outcomes... and preparing for the future.

Research update. Letrezole use for 10 years post breast cancer.