Dog or not?? Cat or not??

I live in a community that allows up to 2 cats or dogs (or one of each) under 35 pounds. I had a cat let him in and out, when I was very sick, I missed letting him in when he wanted in…. he wandered off, was captured by a sweet little old lady (or the animal control, but I watched their website, my cat never appeared).
I have terminal uterine leiomyosarcoma. I feel good right now, I’m on a maintenance dose of chemotherapy. It will work (per the clinical trials) about 6 to 9 months. Then I’ve got clinical trials as a possibility.-- let’s say 6 months.

My roommate is wanting a dog… a fairly big dog… bumping the 35 pound limit. I’ve been looking at Craigslist, the Humane Society and several rescues. If I got a dachshund, my mother would take it after I am gone. If I got a bigger dog (or even a Fox Terrier, which I’ve owned before) The best animal for me is not the best animal for roommate. I've got friends, etc. who might take a small dog, or if the dog is elderly, it may pass before I do.

Is it fair for me to get an animal? An elderly cat which I’d keep inside. or a dog for companionship… small snuggly, lazy.
Some with my diagnosis live 10 years. Others have already passed within the first 6 months of diagnosis. I am currently 2 years post diagnosis….
I know this is long. I trust you guys to not bullshit me. Life is uncertain, life is unfair for animals…. regardless of the caregiver.
Okay, I’ll stop talking. What say you?

Comments

  1. You are asking for opinions, so here's mine. A cat seems like the most practical option for you right now. If you are having a bad day, or have to go to the hospital for a few days, you would not have to worry about letting it out, or taking it for a walk, but you would still have a little friend to snuggle with.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

After waiting.... more waiting

Possible scenarios.... outcomes... and preparing for the future.

Research update. Letrezole use for 10 years post breast cancer.