Facebook posts after death. How news travels..

A former co-worker just posted that a FB friend of his had died.  I click on the link to the deceased's FB page.  Young guy, no apparent health problems, maybe I should check the newspaper..

Earlier in my FB feed, I saw the lovely description of an elderly woman, her family singing her favorite songs, as she peacefully passed away.  There will be a link to the obituary, and well wishes, memories coming in from friends and family.

In this electronic age, the news of a death travels in interesting ways.  I've never met either of these people, but I've feeling a grief for the people who loved them. 

When my father and sister died, I ran into friends/acquaintances that didn't know.  One distant cousin called several months after my father's death, concerned that he hadn't called her recently.  Some Internet friends were notified after I broke into my sister's game account. 

I think of all these things as I wonder how the news of my death will travel.  Facebook friends will know quickly.  These include my knitting non-local knitting friends, former co-workers, Sarcoma groups, and FB Criminal Case players.  I've got a list of people/places to call.  Some people will find out at the next sci-fi convention, or over a gaming table. 

At 57 (later this year), it is not a surprise that I die.  Several of my contemporaries have already passed.  I won't win the oldest surviving graduate.  And I feel time ticking in the background.

When I broke my ankle several Saturdays ago, I lay on the floor feeling grateful for the timing, and concerned about the future.  So many older people break a hip and end up in a skilled nursing home.  I knew this would stop the chemo, at least for a few weeks (at this point a total of six weeks).  I worried that I could end up dying sooner due to the break.  For a few dark moments, I was worried that this was the end.  Several years ago, a co-worker broke her ankle (in a similar way), had surgery, and rehabbed for several months.  Lying on the floor, I counted out the months.  How long until I can get back to walking.  Worse, I was staring from a debilitated state.  Since November, when I had a cold, I've been sitting and sleeping too much.  I can't walk a block.  Heck, walking to the end of the driveway (the length of a car) and I'm panting. 

So I walk a little farther each day.  I keep doing the exercises recommended by my ortho surgeon.  I'm getting better by inches. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

After waiting.... more waiting

Possible scenarios.... outcomes... and preparing for the future.

Research update. Letrezole use for 10 years post breast cancer.